Wednesday, March 20, 2013

The Couch Debacle (February 2012)

In early 2012, we had one of those stereotypical parenting moments. We had recently moved into our new apartment and were still getting things situated. One afternoon, Juliet was occupied, so I took the opportunity for a quick potty break. This, apparently, is not acceptable.

In the few minutes that I was in the other room Juliet managed the following:

  1. Maneuver over the baby gate.
  2. Work open the utility drawer.
  3. Pick out the black permanent marker.
  4. Scurry back over to the couch.
  5. Color ALL OVER my white couch, pillows, her clothes, and her face.

When I came back in, she looked at me innocently.



I handled it pretty well, if I do say so myself. After the initial shock wore off, I laughed. By then it was too late to do anything about it anyway. I then practiced the art of cushion flipping and strategic blanket placement. Then it looked like this:


Not too bad, eh?

Now I know what some of you are thinking. "White couches, really? With kids!?!" But give me a minute to defend myself. There is a method to this  madness. These are IKEA couches with removable, washable covers. Generally speaking, we can wash the covers every so often and they come perfectly clean. Sometimes, however, something dreadful happens (see above). In these cases, the white covers are a couple hundred dollars cheaper than any of the other covers. See? I'm not so daft after all.

No comments: